Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Trip to the Bookstore!

Yesterday, I got some more information on my AP English class.  Just like here in Park City, we have a required reading book, but it's different than the one in Park City.  We have to read Lord of the Flies by William Golding.  It's really good so far (I'm a whole forty pages in).  We don't have to write an essay like I would have had to do for Park City this year, however, we do have to keep a journal by writing at least 200 words in every entry.  The entries are prompts, but they're really fun!  Each one has to do with your personal interest and what you like to do.

Here are some examples of entries we have to do:



Week of July 8

You are about to begin your high school career, a time for you to explore as well as build the foundation for your future.  Do you have a career area in mind?  Share what you have been thinking about life after high school.  If you have some time this summer and would like to check out some careers, go to the Occupational Outlook Handbook at the website below.  You can check out job descriptions, training, earnings, and all kinds of neat stuff.  Try it! (Remember – 200 words)

Week of July 15

It is time to toot your own horn.  What have you done in your life of which you are most proud?  Did you receive an award, accomplish a difficult feat, or quietly conquer a demon?

Aren't they fun?  Well, they might not be "Oh my gosh I can't wait to do my journal entry.", but at least we don't have to analyze Lord of the Flies or anything.  I think I'm going to like my English class.

While it's not required, we're also recommended (which in school pretty much means required) to read one book off a list.  These are more of the 'classics' and 'college-bound' level books, but I picked out two at the book store, The Color Purple by Alice Walker and On Writing by Steven King.  I've started to read On Writing and surprisingly I love it!  Any of my writing-nerd friends (Julia and Molly, I'm looking at you) I would really recommend it.  Here's the list of recommended readings.

And because I went to Barnes & Noble and because it's a BOOKSTORE for crying out loud, I got two additional books.  I got Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver, which is the second book in the Delerium trilogy.  I heard from my friend Julia that this series is going to become a TV series, and I decided that I would just have to read the second one.  She also told me that the book is really good too.

I also got a book called Partials by Dan Wells.  I haven't heard anything about it but I picked it up and it looked good.  Plus it's the first one in a series!  I haven't started it yet, so I can't really tell you what it's about past what the back of the book says, but here's a teaser on it from the Barns & Noble website.

EEK!! BOOKS!!!
Then we stopped by Salt Lake Archery and picked up six arrows and a quiver for my bow.  For those of you who didn't know I had a bow, there it is :)

Look at those snazzy green arrows!

Now I just need a target . . .

This also doubles as Alex's Swag-Tastic Picture of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment